Friday, August 30, 2013

Parents, Man.

Parents, man.  You can't live with 'em when you're a kid, and embarrassed to be living with 'em when you're an adult.

I recall a conversation with my mom (who doesn't seem to recall it at all) that we had after I got back from a two-year mission for my church, in which she told me that she expected me out of the house in a year.  I was gone 51 weeks later (worked, saved money, did some community college stuff, was engaged and married before heading up to "real" college).  She insists that if she did say something like that, that it was just a joke.

Anyways, while we're on the topic of parents and throwing people out...

Mark Parent, current bench coach for the White Sox, was ejected from a game last week while exchanging lineup cards before the game even started!  Pretty wild, right?  I guess he had a beef with some calls from the two previous games and vented a little too much to crew chief Jerry Layne.

I don't mean to stereotype or anything, but Parents seem to think that they're always right.

As far as Mark goes, the dude is on some pretty sweet pieces of cardboard.  Though I love this one, obviously, my all-time favorite Parent card would have to be from '91 Score.  Look it up.

In '91, Parent was no longer a Padre (there's a joke there somewhere, but who's got time to figure it out?), as he had been traded to the Rangers for Scott Coolbaugh, who also went on to become a coach. Mark played in only three games for Texas, striking out in his only appearance.  He'd go on to play for the Orioles, Cubs, Pirates, Tigers, and Phillies before playing the last season of his career in 1998.

No comments:

Post a Comment