Saturday, August 24, 2013

Rynager

Ok, while not as clever as "Brangelina" (the power-duo of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie), "Rynager"is the combination of Ryne (as in Sandberg) and Manager.  It's been a little over a week since the Phillies fired Charlie Manuel and Sandberg made his big league managerial debut for the Phillies.  In that time, he has gone 5-3 and is currently on a three game winning streak.

In 1990, Sandberg and Cecil Fielder led their leagues in home runs, with Ryne rocketing 40 whilst Cecil smacked 51.  As a kid, I always thought these "sluggers meeting by the batting cage" cards were cool, especially when they were in different leagues.  Not really as interesting now that we have inter league play, however.  Still, this is a sharp looking card, Ryne in Cubbie blue and Fielder in the Detroit grays.

I'm not sure how well Ryno will do as a manager, but he is one of the greats, so it's cool to see him still in love with the game.  I often think of him as being a lifetime Cub, forgetting the first 13 games of his career, spent as a Phil.  At the very least, he's just a "two-club" guy.  Not really sure what Chicago saw in Dale Sveum that made him so awesome that they wouldn't even consider Sandberg as a managerial possibility.  But I'd be lying if I said that I knew anything at all about Sveum, either.

2 comments:

  1. Samanadrger? Yeah, weird the Cubs let him walk. I hope he has luck helming the Phils, but it doesn't seem like any HOF player has ever been much of a manager, for whatever reason, so we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I shoulda gone with Ryne Manageberg. Missed opportunity.

      Delete