Sunday, March 30, 2014

A Kick In The Pants


I wonder how many blogs have the line "I can't believe it's been so long since my last post" as their final post.  Hopefully this isn't one.  The last time I posted here was late November, so… Hey there!  It's Yellow Cardboard!

It's Sunday night and I wanted to watch the Padres v. Dodgers game, but it's blacked out on MLB.tv, so I'm listening to the Padres broadcast.  Hoping the Pads can climb out of the 1-0 they're currently in, but in the meantime, here's a post.

My good buddy Mark from This Way To The Clubhouse… sent me a recent package with the usual great stuff, mostly Padres.  But he also included a pack of the good stuff.  Figured this would be a way to get back on the horse.  Man, isn't that pack purdy?

Here's the first card of the pack.  The rest aren't in order, but the first is important, right?  Ben McDonald was a cardboard hero of mine as a kid.  My grandpa's name is Ben, and he (at least in my mind) had a rural upbringing, kind of like a farmer.  The only farmer I knew was Old McDonald, so the combination of the name was pretty cool to me.  Plus, they even kind of look similar.  You know, when he was younger.

Here are two double play cards that the pack offered up.  Both great shots, and both different enough to  still be interesting side by side.  Jerry Browne is pirouetting and looks like he just threw a dart, while Jeff Blauser is doing his Matrix impression as the Dodgers' Stan Javier slides around his knee.  Oh, and they're both on teams named after Native Americans.  

This Dale Murphy was my favorite of the pack.  I wish I could've seen Murph at the height of his career, during his glory days with the Braves.  But my only memories are of him as a Phillie (and later, for a brief moment, a Rockie).  Not an action shot, but still a solid card of the should-be Hall of Famer.

Here are two other notable guys for me.  Tom Brunansky lives in my hometown, and his son plays for Poway High with my cousin Nathan.  I can't remember if I've met him or not (probably not), but I guess it's cool to know that he's a Poway guy.  Not that I necessarily like that many people that are still there, but whatever.  Bobby Thigpen was a guy I really liked as a kid as well.  He was the first big closer that I remember.  I found out about guys like Lee Smith and Dennis Eckersley later on.  And I really dig the cursive "C" on the early 90s White Sox hats.  Oh, and these are both teams that are named after socks.

Here are some notable photos.  I think Alex Fernandez has a great shot here, being able to see the stadium grandstand in the background.  Bill Haselman was the only guy in catchers gear in the pack.  Looks like he's along the line near the stands.  Maybe in a bullpen or something.  Lots of blue in this card.  And yellow, of course.

Here are the rest of the cards in the pack.  The Rangers lead the pack with three total cards.  Ten of the fourteen cards are from the American League.  The bottom three and the Brunansky are the ones that featured guys swinging.  Nothing much else to say about these.

But don't forget!  It's 14 cards and a sticker!  This is a pretty good one.  Love how the Astros reverted back to a more retro logo in 2013, after spending a while with those ugly rust colored jerseys.  More than the sticker on the front, I like the "Top 10" stats on the back.  Good touch.  

There have been some changes in the leader board since 1991.  Roger Clemens is now the ERA leader with a 2.40 mark (in exactly three more innings pitched than Joe Sambito).  Moises Alou and Jeff Bagwell are now the Batting Average leaders (with marks of .297 and .331, respectively), and the Killer B's (Bagwell, Berkman, and Biggio) lead the home run march.

Thanks a lot for the pack of cards, Mark!  Just the kick in the pants I needed!

And now the Padres have taken a 3-1 lead!  Awesome!

4 comments:

  1. Last night's game was awesome! By the way... I'm a huge fan of those Fleer stickers from the 80's and early 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The McDonald and Alex Fernandez cards were a pair of pretty hefty pulls back in '91.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered your site yesterday (and I see that I'm all over your sidebar - thanks!)

    My 2 sons' first (and only) excursion into baseball card collecting were the 1990 & 1991 Donruss, 1991 Fleer, and (to a lesser extent) 1991 Topps and 1990 Fleer sets. Seeing your site brought back memories of me helping them sort their cards, turning our living room floor into a sea of red, blue, and yellow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kick... in... the... pants...!

    ReplyDelete