Monday, June 9, 2014

Benito!

Spurred on by a walk off win by my Padres over the weekend (though we'll say nothing of yesterday's game) here's another post on my neglected little blog.

I received this card in an package a month or so ago, and I can't remember who sent it, but was one of my favorite cards in the bunch.  While one of the best things about the '91 Fleer set is it's marvelous yellow borders, many of you will know that not all of the cards featured the iconic border.

Some of them were black.  Among them, this card:

Benito Santiago is the only Padre that got the "'91 Fleer All Star Team" treatment.  Even though Tony Gwynn was only snubbed from the All-Star team once between 1984 and 1999 (sixteen year span, marred by the 1988 season when he led won the batting title and got MVP votes), I don't mind Benito getting a little cardboard love here.  Benito was a five time All-Star ('89-'92, then again in 2002) and is while he might not be the greatest catcher in Padres history (statistically, that title might go to, uh, Terry Kennedy), he was easily the most exciting.

I remember trying the "throw from your knees" move when I was in Little League.  Wasn't great at it.

Here's the back.  Nice trophy shot of Benito.  Hold it up high!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe there is a "junk wax" card that I haven't seen hundreds of times.

    ReplyDelete